Monday, May 20, 2013

The Dallas Cowboys aka The Replacements

I was watching The Replacements yesterday, and I thought to myself how compatible my Cowboys are to this movie. I know, very sad, but the movie is full of divas, rejects, and some talent that could be great. All in all the team is the laughing stock, and that is how I feel about the Cowboys. Oh and Keanu Reeves is an awful actor. I am sure you already knew this.

The differences for the Boys' this year will hopefully be depth and health. In the offseason we have picked up Travis Fredrick at running back, Joseph Randle, and receiver Terrance Williams. A running back that has always caught my eye, is Phillip Tanner, I hope he becomes the second back, because he has great vision.

Defensively, we are the same expect for the change up with Ware and defensive back B.W. Webb. I get the change with Ware to strengthen that 4-3, but why fix something that is not broke. Dez Bryant had a productive season last year, and Murray was a factor and should always be, if he remains healthy. I hope to see what Barry Church can do this season. That is one out of a few I have my eye on. I hope Sean Lee is ready to hit the ground running, because man did I miss that athlete last season, he is a huge play maker.

We let go of cornerback Dustin Harris, and signed free-agent Malik James. James had a season-ending injury with his stint at Langston University. We added another injury prone player. For the Cowboys defensive, I don’t think that was the smartest move. We did sign a defensive lineman, Anthony Hargrove. Moving to the 4-3 should be great for Dallas with Monte Kiffin being the mastermind. However, if Ware, Spencer, Hatcher or Ratliff get hurt….we are in for a hardship.

I wish we would have let go of Ratliff and Free. Ratliff is a great player, but was out all last season, and he can be a factor, however, he is getting old in age. Free on the other hand, false starts ALL THE TIME. You could make a drinking game out of Free’s penalties. Seriously. I am so happy we got rid of Jenkins and Jones. Thank goodness.

I wish we would have let go of Miles Austin. If you know me, you know that I adore Austin whether it is his dedication or those glorious eyes. I think he has great talent, runs his routes 100 percent and is a good influence to that team. However, his hamstring injury is annoying, and we should trade him for what he is worth now. In saying that, I wouldn’t be surprised if he goes off this season. Another athlete I am looking forward to is Dwayne Harris. He gave us a taste last season with him coming through in clutch moments while Austin was nursing numerous injuries. I hope to see him be the second or third reciever for Dallas, because we all know Dez has the first spot.  

On to the QB, Tony Romo received a $108 million contract extension last month. Now, I don’t carry the flag for his fan club, but I believe in Romo with a GOOD OFFENSIVE LINE. The o-line is still a concern. Now, was Romo worth that contract….I don’t think so. What worries me about the quarterback situation is, we don’t have a decent backup, and don’t tell me Orton is a good backup. I wish we would have picked up Barkley, who might be a steal in this last draft. I really think we could have developed him or even Klein. Klein just worked out with the Texans, but did not make the cut. I just want a decent backup QB, so when things go south or Romo has an injury, we aren’t sitting there thinking….”uh oh" - to say it nicely.

I would love to dive into the draft, but it sickness me. I hope Gavin Escobar learns behind Witten, but Phillips is also going to be a great tight end for Dallas. I did like the Travis Frederick pick to compete with Phil Costa. Costa needs to step his game up. All end all, I just wish Jerry would have drafted me to make his picks, but that is wishful thinking. That is all I am going to say about the draft.

This season, I just hope we compete, and not compete in a way that almost gets us there or we barely make it. I mean I want to see a blowout by this team. I want to see a dominating win. I am sick of these close games, when our team is stacked in some areas. And I am sick of hearing how our team is “full of talent.” It doesn’t mean anything if we are not in the playoffs, at least. I don’t want to be “The Replacements,” for yet another season. I want to go to the games, and enjoy our season tickets instead of riding home with my father and us complaining about the same things, Dallas has yet to fix for years. Can it just be football season already? And no, not flag football, that topic is up next on The Breakdown.

1 comment: