Friday, May 17, 2013

First 48 hours at KTTZ-TV


On the first day, some awesome coworkers welcomed me. The people here are really laid back, but are very good at what they do. They are nice and supportive, and help answer my millions of questions. I got to visit with my friend and now coworker, Brandi Blake, who walked up the stairs to see me after getting into a horrible car wreck weeks ago. I really missed seeing her and working with her. 

I have a HUGE office, and yes I think it is huge, because I never had one at Ramar and this office has all the works. I have a TV, three desks, my own personalized desktop computer, a phone, three monitors and two Mac computers for producing. I have two chairs that sit in front of my desk that adds to the professionalism of this office. My ceiling is so high; it makes the office look even better with two large windows over looking the campus.

I work on the second floor with about four other people making it really calm and easy to focus on producing packages. I have gotten to listen in on Star Treck and Iron Man conversations, which brings a smile to my face knowing I am in an office where people actually communicate and spend time together. It is the little things that have gotten me so excited for this opportunity, like having a lunch hour. You don’t typically get a designated hour for lunch in broadcast.

                                                              (Yes, it needs some TLC.)
On Wednesday, I got to shoot an interview with Chancellor Kent Hance and run into an old friend of mine, Gio, who hired me for this job. Even though I have interviewed people like Wes Welker, Drew Pearson and other big name athletes, I was really nervous with the Chancellor. I honestly think it was because my new boss was there watching me, and I did not want to disappoint Gio.

Yesterday, I got to cover the Raider Rojos chapter celebrating the accomplishments of Hispanic graduates from Texas Tech University at the Merket Alumni Center. I was in charge of shooting, interviewing, editing and producing this package. I was a little nervous, but excited because it is about the college I am so passionate about. It is also nice knowing, that my manager trusted me to get the job done within 48 hours of being here.

                                   (So far, I added a lamp, and a photo of my grandfather.)
This is why I love broadcast, it is like a game to get the best stories, to impress, to push yourself outside of your comfort zone and to represent your company to the best of your ability.  All the while, you have to be quick, accurate, compelling and creative. People, IT IS NOT JUST DOING YOUR HAIR TO LOOK PRETTY IN FRONT OF THE CAMERA. True story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment