Monday, May 13, 2013

My Time in the Valley is up and I'm onto the next Opportunity


Since being home, I have written for KBIM on all local sports while being able to cover my alma mater, coached young adults in track and field, added some photography sessions to my portfolio, and have become a factor for my family business. I finished the track season with Dexter High School at State and am back in Lubbock permanently for now. 
It's nice to here from your athletes, "Hey coach, we googled your name and you are famous." This brought a smile to my face, because they had seen some broadcast videos and commercials I had done in the past. It's also great to get a reminder that you are appreciated. One of my athletes surprised me with a hug and a "thank you" after the state track meet, after I thought she really did not like me as a coach. 

At State, we became State Champs in the medley relay and 1600 meter relay for the boys, and the girls finished sixth in the medley relay and also the 1600 meter relay. Nayely Anderson took home fifth in the long jump, and the boys four by 100 meter relay took home third and the boys four by 200 meter relay finished sixth after getting the baton knocked out of our hands by Lordsburg in the next lane. When a baton drops at State, that sound will forever haunt you. It stinks, but we still got on the podium. 
Being able to be home and surrounded by loved ones, I have learned a lot about myself. I’ve learned not to take things personal, be a better influence for younger adults, and hold myself accountable. I thought I was doing all these things in Lubbock previously, but I was honestly going through the motions.

I talked previously in another post about acting like a victim and not taking responsibility. However, there are things that happen to people and justified or not, you must rise to the occasion. Being more active in sports again, I realized how those little pep talks and the confidence I received helped me for this next chapter.

I love broadcast, and will get another shot at it with KTTZ-TV in Lubbock. It is the PBS affiliate with Texas Tech. I have been blessed to go through five months of my “revamping” period, and I am ready for this chance. I can’t wait to hit the ground running. I get to report on all topics including sports and be surrounded by some great people! I received my first assignment today, and I will cover it on Thursday. 

I will miss being around my family, however, I am going back with a strong faith and trust in God, respect, my mother and I finally having a strong relationship, my sister being a sophomore at Tech and having the chance to make a name for myself at another station. I was blessed to be able to coach my youngest sister, Madison, in track and be more involved in her life. I could not ask for more, and I thank God for putting me in this position for five months. 

Before I left last week, my sister and I said goodbye to our horse Flash and others call him Rabbit. He was 17 years old, but had arthritis and a hurt leg. It was sad to watch him go down so quickly, but thankfully we had the vet come out and give him a shot and buried him. I had never put down a horse, even my first horse , Black Beauty, was put down by my father. It was humane, and he didn't go through any pain. Flash was a great horse, gentle and patient. 

I got to mend fences with old friends, and built some great friendships with people in this Valley. I can say growing up in a small town is challenging, but so rewarding. When I came back, I was welcomed with open arms after promising myself I would never go back home and someday I hope to open a business there. I hope this next time I make the people back home proud and start the Bogle name in another industry other than agriculture.

I thank you all for the support especially from this valley and friends I had not talked to in years. I would not have grown as much as I did, without any of your help. I appreciate ya'll following my blog posts throughout this period, and I hope my experiences could help! I am so excited to be back in Texas at my house, going to great grocery stores haha (that's when you know you're old), and being around old friends. Please, wish me luck with this new job! Thank you for all your prayers!

1 comment:

  1. Lauren I knew you were going to be famous in 5th grade after your Native American presentation. Congratulations you make me proud and I am glad you are mending fences and following God's will.

    ReplyDelete