Wednesday, May 1, 2013

My New York Adventure – “Obama wants change, we want twenties.”


New York was quite the experience, especially with four wonderful friends and my sister. We landed Friday afternoon and headed straight for the hotel to get spiffy for the NFL draft. Our hotel room was two stories tall, and thanks to hotels.com it was marvelous and in the heart of Times Square. 

Now, I might have been selfish, because I love football and just wanted to be there to experience the horrific draft picks I knew Jerry Jones would pick, but also to see some big name football players. The center was a decent pick and the rest were horrid. I would dive into the draft, but it is just so disappointing for my Dallas Cowboys. However, I did get to yell “Wreck’em” to Geno Smith when he walked in front of me. That was pure greatness. I loved reporting on that game from the field and watching Tech dominate WVU! Tony Casillas, Deion Sanders, Merril Hodge and Trent Dilfer to name a few were there.


Also, me being an amateur, I thought Carrie Bradshaw in Sex and the City made walking in high heels all day look easy…. I was sadly mistaken. After walking just two miles to and from Radio City Music Hall, I had three inch cuts and two blisters on both feet, because I wanted to look fabulous not feel fabulous. Dumb move.
 After the draft we went to Times Square, and if you are claustrophobic like myself, it is not the best situation to put yourself in. However, it was so beautiful to see it all lit up and a diversity of people walking the streets of Times Square. Beyonce was doing her thing on a massive billboard. I want her legs, swag and pretty much her lifestyle! I will keep her political participation out of it, because I don’t agree with it.

Saturday morning arrived pretty early seeing we did not go to sleep until four, but the city NEVER SLEEPS! That is true. We headed to Central Park, which was absolutely breathtaking in a busy city to have so much of Mother Nature in the heart of the big apple. Now, if you are a fan of Gossip Girl like I am (yes, it is my guilty pleasure, don’t judge) the idea of the streets being fabulous, is not so much so. It was interesting trying to navigate a sidewalk without running into people and staying with your group. We deserved a trophy.
 We went on the ferry to go see the Statue of Liberty, and it was breathtaking. It reminded me of what this country stands for - land of the free and home of the brave. The opportunities this country provides, and how we need to respect this nation. USA is so powerful, because of the people that come here and are born here to create success and live freely.
 After the ferry, we ran into some street dancers/gymnasts outside the building. It is really awesome how creative people are in New York in order to make a living. My favorite quote from this group was, “Obama wants change, we want twenties.” haha
 The rest of the day we spent in Brooklyn, contrary to believe it is really eccentric and full of culture. We figured out the subway system with some mistakes of course, but they are not as disgusting as some might think. However, they are not as nice as Washington D.C. That night we went to Lavo where there was a DJ the entire time. Loving music, I had so much fun with friends at an extremely nice restaurant.
 The next day, I tried dropping off some applications, but it was difficult with security after the bombings so we went to Ground Zero at 10:00 when it opened. It was an experience. It is eerie knowing you are standing on the ground where around 3,000 people died. You don’t really understand the feeling you get standing there. The two large pools they built and dedicated to the victims were peaceful and are used for a time of reflection. It was my favorite place to visit in NYC. The Freedom Tower that is being built next to the memorial is almost finished and it is stunning.


The rest of the day we spent in Williamsburg where my friends got tattoos at Three Kings, which is a well-known celebrity establishment. The tattoo artist was from Manchester and goodness he was awesome. I could have listened to him talk for hours. However, at that time my feet were literally bleeding so I was not in the best mood. So, after I changed into tennis shoes and went out shopping. The Tiffany and Co. store is several stories high and was a reminder of how I could not afford much in NYC. Haha It was awesome though. Later, we had fun in Times Square and enjoyed the rest of our last night in the big city.

 We went to The Today Show the following morning and then flew out. I did see the back of Robert Downy Jr.’s head at Good Morning America. That was cool seeing he is one of my favorite actors and loves fedoras as much as I do.


All and all, it was a magnificent trip I spent with the people I love. We also got to see our friends Bryce Breedyk and Bobbi Cobos who live in NYC. I would not change it. But the greatest of all, was the phone call I got Monday while flying back. That is for another blog post. Stay tuned! Here is a clue. 



1 comment:

  1. I saw those street dancers last week, november 2013. I recorded them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYi2b4OKq94 They were really good ^^

    ReplyDelete