Thursday, February 14, 2013

Awe Lance Armstrong


I know the Lance Armstrong subject has been beaten to death, and with the recent sightings or no sightings of Manti Teo’s girlfriend hoax has come to light, Armstrong’s confession was forgotten.

Armstrong decided to come clean, because the controversy had gotten so “out of control” it started affecting his children. So you mean to tell me this didn’t affect his family for years?

He said he continued doping through all of his seven victories in the Tour de France from 1999 to 2005; mind you he is leaving out every detail since 2005, because he could face legal consequences.

Since I was 14, my father and I cycled every morning in the summer for off-season during the Tour’s. I went and purchased a ridiculously expensive racing bike that was aluminum from Trek in Albuquerque just to keep up with my father. My father respected Mr. Armstrong, because like Armstrong, my father competed in triathlons. 

We bought the Livestrong bracelets, and hopped on the bandwagon. Don’t get me wrong; when there is that much smoke, there must be fire. However, I just thought the French were ticked off at us Americans for dominating the only athletic event they owned.

Since starting my broadcast career at Double T 104-3, I backed this guy. I thought for sure if he was doping, he would have come clean by now. Well, I was a fool. I should have known when he left his family for Sheryl Crow. I love her music, her…not so much.

There are some aspects we need to take into consideration. Even with his seven Tour de France wins, all other competitors that actually gave him a cycle for his money, were also doping. So, how can we compare who was the true winner – whoever had the best dope or athleticism at the end of the competition?

He was still stripped of all seven titles he won in the Tour de France by the USADA, and has a lifetime ban from sanctioned competition.

Even though he made bank off of the Livestrong brand, let us not forget all the efforts and dinero that has gone to cancer research no matter how much he doped.

Armstrong said the most “humbling moment” was the controversy forcing him to step down from the Livestrong foundation. I hope it was “humbling.”

He said he is “deeply sorry for what he did.” I am glad most controversies end in an apology after the fact - the millions earned and the reputation of a legend that comes with success. 

Side note, at the end of the day do any of use care what Matthew McConaughey thinks about his best friend coming clean? No, I’m glad we can all agree. 

1 comment:

  1. I never thought about the amount of money that has gone to cancer research due to him. I think that's something positive to definitely take away from it all.

    ReplyDelete